Image via: @thesydneyporter
Did you know we have 7 main chakras in our bodies? Our chakras act as a vortex/wheel--a conduit for energy to flow in and out of our bodies to become balanced and aligned with our highest potential. They take in life-sustaining energy from all around us, including the sun, earth, moon and stars.
A chakra is a Sanskrit word that means "wheel." It's also the name of an energy center in our body. Our chakras are spheres of energy and light, which are located along the spine from base to crown. As we evolve spiritually, our chakras become more balanced and harmonious. When our chakras become blocked with stress, anxiety and emotional upheaval, we can experience suffering and internal introspection & healing is required.
So what are the 7 chakras?
1. The Root Chakra is our energy center for survival and foundation. It's located at the base of spine, near to where we connect with the earth through our feet. The color associated with this chakra is red, which signifies vitality, strength and grounding us in reality.
2. The Sacral Chakra is our energy center for creativity, sexuality and the expression of manifestation. Located just below your belly button and is associated with the color orange. The primary function of this energy center is pleasure and overall enjoyment of life. It’s also linked to how you relate to your emotions as well as the emotions of others.
3. The Solar Plexus Chakra represents our personal power--our sense of self-esteem, ego and will to live life fully with joy and is associated with the color yellow. This chakra is also closely related to digestive function. Located in the upper belly at the diaphragm, it acts as the center of personal power.
4. Our Heart Chakra is our sacred compass that navigates us to compassion, empathy, love, forgiveness and is associated with the color green. Located in our heart space (chest), the fourth chakra regulates love (selfless love) and joy; higher emotions that are purer.
5. The Throat Chakra is located just below the base of our neck at throat and is associated with the color light blue/turquoise. It governs communication and self-expression in word or gesture for our true self to shine through our authentic truth.
6. Our Third Eye Chakra is located in the center of our forehead, between the eyebrows. It is the center of our focus, where we receive messages and visions and is associated with the color dark blue/purple. It governs intelligence, wisdom and self-knowledge--we call this the seat of divine understanding.
7. The Crown Chakra is our link to the divine and is associated with shades of violet and glowing white. It governs cosmic energy, spirituality and enlightenment--the seat of universal consciousness and connection with the universe as we are all one.
When we are able to balance our chakras, they will offer us a sense of harmony and peace that can help create wholeness in body, mind and spirit.